This week I taught my last week of 75%- we chose to split this up where I taught all Monday-Wednessday and my mentor teacher taught Thursday and Friday. I really enjoyed teaching 3 full days. I love having more and more control over the classroom and getting to deal with the problems the arise. I also love being able to merge my teaching style in with my mentor teacher's style. Even though they are very similiar and I am learning from her everyday it is still different to be able to do things "my way". This week I was observed by my Cindy (from WVU) and my principal. I was nervous about how these may go, but in the end they both came back great. The pumpkin centers on Tuesday were so much fun and I feel the students learned from being able to move around and explore the questions instead of just hearing the information. I left on Tuesday just smiling because I knew, even though my centers had some problems and the groups didn't quite work out perfectly I enjoyed myself and so did the students. On Wednesday I finished up my week of teaching and allowed the students to decorate the pumpkins which was fun. I love allowing the students to be creative and have a hand in decorating the room. The "box" plan for the student I previously spoke about seems to be working for now. This whole week he has gotten almost all of his work completed on time. Sometimes the box helps as a "collect all" for the items that I take from him while I'm teaching- and that helps just to have a place to put all of the stuff he finds to play with. I have had some run-ins this week with lieing and cheating, but we work through those as they come up.
I am energized and ready to begin my 5 weeks of full time teaching next week. I have planned a Diversity Unit where we will fly around the world to learn about India, Russia, and Thialand. We will be learning some Hindi, Russian, and Thia and get to experience some fun activies like yoga. I can't wait to see how the student's respond to the different cultures.
Congrats for doing the "pumpkin centers". I think center work is an excellent motivator for kids, and also a much more palatable alternative to paper/pencil/worksheet only. Thank you for allowing your students to have some fun.
This week I taught my last week of 75%- we chose to split this up where I taught all Monday-Wednessday and my mentor teacher taught Thursday and Friday. I really enjoyed teaching 3 full days. I love having more and more control over the classroom and getting to deal with the problems the arise. I also love being able to merge my teaching style in with my mentor teacher's style. Even though they are very similiar and I am learning from her everyday it is still different to be able to do things "my way".
ReplyDeleteThis week I was observed by my Cindy (from WVU) and my principal. I was nervous about how these may go, but in the end they both came back great. The pumpkin centers on Tuesday were so much fun and I feel the students learned from being able to move around and explore the questions instead of just hearing the information. I left on Tuesday just smiling because I knew, even though my centers had some problems and the groups didn't quite work out perfectly I enjoyed myself and so did the students.
On Wednesday I finished up my week of teaching and allowed the students to decorate the pumpkins which was fun. I love allowing the students to be creative and have a hand in decorating the room.
The "box" plan for the student I previously spoke about seems to be working for now. This whole week he has gotten almost all of his work completed on time. Sometimes the box helps as a "collect all" for the items that I take from him while I'm teaching- and that helps just to have a place to put all of the stuff he finds to play with.
I have had some run-ins this week with lieing and cheating, but we work through those as they come up.
I am energized and ready to begin my 5 weeks of full time teaching next week. I have planned a Diversity Unit where we will fly around the world to learn about India, Russia, and Thialand. We will be learning some Hindi, Russian, and Thia and get to experience some fun activies like yoga. I can't wait to see how the student's respond to the different cultures.
Congrats for doing the "pumpkin centers". I think center work is an excellent motivator for kids, and also a much more palatable alternative to paper/pencil/worksheet only. Thank you for allowing your students to have some fun.
ReplyDelete