This week I taught 2 1/2 days. We chose to split up the week in this way so I could begin to have a chance to manage a full day before I have to do all 5 days. I was nervous going into the thought of a full day, but I survived. I actually think a full day may be easier, because if I do not get to something earlier in the day I know what I have planned for later and can switch a few things around.
One struggle I can see I am having in the classroom is consistency with all students. I must remember never to cross over to a "friend" demeanor with any students and to always keep a "teacher-student" relationship. There are a couple of students in particular that seem to be drawn to me and I must remember to be fair and consistent and not allow them to get away with anything other students can not do. It is important to be consistent with all students and fair- especially when it comes to classroom management. Even in the second grade students would catch on quick if they felt I had favorites in the class. I would never want any of my students to feel as if I had been unfair or picked on them in particular.
I also must never give up on a student. One student in class is a cause of much frustration for me. This week I had a few moments when I felt there was nothing I could do for him, but I must remember this is not true. Finding out what he is interested in, giving him some individual attention, making him know I want him to succeed, and praising him for completing work on time are all ways I can reach out and help him.
As I enter this coming week when I will be teaching 75%, which will be all day, each day minus vocab, spelling,and phonics in the morning, I challenge myself to give the same opportunities to all students, be consistent with all students, and to try and find new ways to help my most frustrating cases to succeed.
This week I taught 2 1/2 days. We chose to split up the week in this way so I could begin to have a chance to manage a full day before I have to do all 5 days. I was nervous going into the thought of a full day, but I survived. I actually think a full day may be easier, because if I do not get to something earlier in the day I know what I have planned for later and can switch a few things around.
ReplyDeleteOne struggle I can see I am having in the classroom is consistency with all students. I must remember never to cross over to a "friend" demeanor with any students and to always keep a "teacher-student" relationship. There are a couple of students in particular that seem to be drawn to me and I must remember to be fair and consistent and not allow them to get away with anything other students can not do. It is important to be consistent with all students and fair- especially when it comes to classroom management. Even in the second grade students would catch on quick if they felt I had favorites in the class. I would never want any of my students to feel as if I had been unfair or picked on them in particular.
I also must never give up on a student. One student in class is a cause of much frustration for me. This week I had a few moments when I felt there was nothing I could do for him, but I must remember this is not true. Finding out what he is interested in, giving him some individual attention, making him know I want him to succeed, and praising him for completing work on time are all ways I can reach out and help him.
As I enter this coming week when I will be teaching 75%, which will be all day, each day minus vocab, spelling,and phonics in the morning, I challenge myself to give the same opportunities to all students, be consistent with all students, and to try and find new ways to help my most frustrating cases to succeed.